<VV> Tire gurus

John Dozsa jdozsa at carr.org
Sun Mar 27 13:46:37 EST 2005

> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:03:24 -0500
> From: airvair <airvair at richnet.net>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Tire gurus
> To: BobHelt at aol.com
> Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org, dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
>
> That may be, in the strict OPERATIONAL sense of the vehicle. But in the
> VISUAL sense of seeing the car (as in a concours), they are STILL too
> small. They don't give the correct view of the car in a historic
> context. If you've ever seen a car with an authentic set of 7.00-13's on
> it next to a car with a set of your "correct" 185's on it, you'll see
> what I mean. And it is THAT visual image that makes them objectionable
> to me. Plus I have the physical evidence, if you care to dispute me.
>
> BTW if you look on the speedo housing label on a late model, it will see
> that it is labeled as factory-rated for 825 revolutions per mile, which
> translates into a rolling diameter of 24.44 inches. Just try to find a
> 185/80R-13 tire listed as having THAT rolling diameter! (And FYI, I once
> checked an authentic set of 7.00-13's for rolling diameter, and they
> came within just a few feet of being dead-on in a measured 5 miles. Sure
> must have been a true 24.44 inches in rolling diameter.)
>
> I know I've battled CORSA on this before, but I KNOW I'm right. If
> someone could prove me wrong, then I'd change my mind, and then I'd be
> right again. But to date nothing anyone has said defending the 185's has
> proven to be right, so I will continue to hold onto what I know to be
> correct.  The 185's are STILL too small! But I suppose it's all
> academic, since it's all you can get anymore...... Which is why I wish
> someone would produce a REAL 7.00-13 tire......
>
> -Mark

Mark,

I just bought eight 185/80R-13 white wall tires that closely match the
original 7.00-13 tires.  Delta Brand.  Tires are marked "Made in
China".  Spec sheet link at
<http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tirelist.asp?tCatID=3>  OD is listed
at 24.5 inches.  Don't know if it's static or rolling diameter.  The
circumference measures 78 inches, inflated tire mounted on stock late
model rims.  Calculated OD = 24.83.  In better spring weather I'll
measure rolling diameter.

You may need to change your mind! :-)

John Dozsa