Fwd: <VV> Cap parts numbers/battery area question

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 17:20:14 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/26/05 5:19:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, pottsf at msn.com
writes:

> All right - these are good answers (thanks), but my questions really had to
> do with: (a) what might have been stock on the 66; and (b) what ill effects
> I might anticipate running the thing the way I have these many years,
> without vent tubes. I do NOT have Delrin in my engine compartment (and the
> heater circuits ARE connected).

Cecil
The '65 Monza I bought in '67 had the LM closed caps with tubes that went to
the two hole grommet aft of the battery tray.  My '65 Corsa has the original
two hole grommet.  The phosgene gas issue was only on the EM Delrin fan cars as
you indicated.  I was told the vent tubes kept the hydrogen gas from
accumulating in our sealed engine compartment to avoid an explosion AND that it kept
the acid droplets caused by an overcharging alternator from corroding the
wiring, carburetors (especially our plastic choke pulloffs).  It could be that
corrosion problems with EM's were a lesson, but the LM fender insulation on all
but the 500's kept the acid away from our fenders.  The '76 Chassis and Body
parts manual lists Group 2.345 part 3909114 (Two required) as the caps for our
batteries.  It also lists 3863987 for the HD battery that had different spacing.

I make sure to vent my batteries whenever possible to avoid the corrosion.