<VV> oils a poll

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Tue Mar 29 22:37:02 EST 2005

In my opinion, ANY turbo should use a full synthetic oil; primarily for the anti-coking capabilities when the engine is shut down and the oil inside the
extremely hot turbo stays there cooking.

The other primary advantage of a synthetic is the ability to retain viscosity longer when overheated. So for that reason, I use them in even non turbo
Corvairs, though it's really likely overkill.

So for you, I'd recommend either Amsoil, Mobil 1, or Castrol Syntec (the 3 I use) Regular members will recall I used to strongly recommend against Syntec
due to some issues I experienced in my highly boosted ur-quattro turbo, but the new fully-synthetic stuff seems as good as Amsoil or Mobil 1.

All of my Corvairs and all of my turbo cars get synthetic; everything else gets Castrol GT. (My Minis, sharing the sump with the gearbox, are specifically NOT
supposed to use synthetics as they are apparently not good for the gearbox. So with my Turbo car, I have a quandry...)

Oil and filters get changed every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first (usually the 6 months).

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD