<VV> oils a poll

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 29 23:41:52 EST 2005

Here we go on oil again.

One thing I know from my reading on this topic is that all synthetics are
not created equally.  I put some 5W 20 Castrol synthetic into my Taurus
today as I plan to run a 5,000 mile change interval.

I seem to clearly remember that our friends at Mobil took great offence to
how the API rated synthetics as they changed the standard to allow oils that
are not truly 100% synthetic to be marketed as fully synthetic oil.  We all
know about the semi synthetic thing, but Exxon / Mobil was apparently
unsuccessful in getting the API to see things their way.  For me, when I pay
a premium for synthetic, I want it to be fully synthetic so I pick Mobil 1 -
5W - 40 truck SUV as my preferred synthetic oil as it also is certified by
Cat, Cummins, Kenworth etc...(the million mile engine guys)

Mobil 1 is also promoting a 15,000 mile change interval with Mobile 1 (if
your car is out of warranty), which should give the oil filter folks fits.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Truck_SUV_5W-40.as
px

LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE