<VV> OFF TOPIC, but car related

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Mar 30 00:09:01 EST 2005

Kirk
In my 40 years of Pinewood Derby Experience, (only 3 as a car racer/builder)
the following should work OK

1. Tire clearance should be enough to make the tire spin freely, but NOT
WOBBLE!!
2. Powdered Graphite on the nails will give the only legal (to my
knowledge)lubrication on the axles.(nails)

There IS a weight limit!!! Stick on wheel weights should help.

Where do you put the weight??  Usually in the center, but---ask the Valve
Cover Racers, they use the same type of track.

I won a few times for my Den, and a couple of 2nd places in the Pack, but
that's the best I ever did. Turning 11 disqualifies you from further
attempts <G>, so my career ended in 1968.

BTW, most interesting Derby car I ever saw, was a replica of the Dale
Jarrett 88 Motorcraft car, made by a Cub Scout whose 2nd cousin is Dale
Jarrett. His mom (dale's cousin) took him to the shop in Hickory, and Dale
signed the car.  he has been offered over 300.00 for the car, and won't take
the cash---

Read your Pack's rules carefully!!! I have had to disqualify kids who tried
to run the same car they ran the year before, running their older brother's
car, and also kids whose parents brought them late, as well as overweight
cars. This can cause some real problems, and takes some firm handling to
resolve.

Regards
Hank
(also Assistant District Commissioner, BSA)