<VV> timing for YC engine

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 23:23:05 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/30/2005 6:23:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
CORVAIR412 at aol.com writes:

> I have a question concerning the timing of a  95 engine which was  used
> with
> a manual transmission and now will be used with an  automatic.  The
> distributor  is the one for the manual transmission.  Should the timing of
> the engine
> still be 2 degrees or should it go to the  10-11 degrees for an automatic?

**********
You've got one of the best engines / distributors around!    It's designed to
run on our current 87 octane!   The distributor has very good mechanical
advance curve!

To heck with the book....time it at 10-11  to 15-16  deg...    If it doesn't
ping...you'll have a real peppy 95!..better than many 110's!  If it
does....try disconnecting the VA...if it's fine then....."re-tension" the VA  internal
spring to make it pull in the EXTRA advance, for economy,  at a higher level of
vacume....IE:  highway driving / cruising...

To re-tension??    find a socket that is slightly smaller than the flat part
of the diaphram.....put in a vice and squeeze approx. 1/4".....then test
drive!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V