<VV> Input seal ring

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Thu Mar 31 02:03:02 EST 2005

At 12:27 AM 3/31/2005 -0500, CorvairEd at aol.com wrote:
>_AeroNed at aol.com_ (mailto:AeroNed at aol.com)  writes:
>
>I  remember awhile back some discussion on the purposes of the input shaft
>seal retaining ring. The most obvious purpose would be to hold the seal  in
>place.
>
>Ned,
>The primary purpose of the split ring is to protect the seal from damage by
>the clutch input shaft during assembly of the differential to the engine.
>
>Ed Corson  (CORSA Member)

Hi Ed,
Doesn't the split ring also keep any input shaft flex from damaging the
seal by constraining that area?
I have seen some split rings that were wallowed out on the inside.  So I
always check them and discard
the ones that are enlarged on the inside.  I also take a screwdriver and
split the washer a little to increase the tension.
I really don't want it slipping out from the narrower diameter area.
-- Larry