<VV> Front End

Les corvair at mts.net
Mon May 2 23:53:52 EDT 2005

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:11:58 -0400
From: "Tom  Wright" <tomsmail at sympatico.ca>
Subject: <VV> Front End
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
<snip>

I hope we aren't talking about a 66 coupe. I have mine apart, just about to put it together and I can't see a difference in the upper A arms. Usually if there is a difference, they mark R and L, or no?

***no markings, and they are different. Trial fit them and you will see that the ball joint is closer to one bushing than the other. Which way do they need to go? Hmmmmm... don't know, it's been 9 years since I had mine apart. I think I figured it out by looking at all the pretty pictures in all my books, and seeing which way "made sense" when configured with ball joints & spindles. Sorry I can't help more...

While we are on the subject, I read in the chassis manual and the assembly manual that the cross member can R and R easily, as there are cage nuts on top of the frame, so you don't have to have the gas tank out to get at the nuts. Not on mine. Nuts and lockwashers and bolts. No evidence of there ever being a cage nut up there. Is this a Canadian thing? I had a little trouble getting the gas tank out, I was hoping to put it in before the crossmember, but I don't see that happening if I have to get at the nuts up there.

*** My Canadian '65 has cage nuts. If it was ever taken apart down Ontario way, odds are they destroyed the cage nuts getting it apart (rust), or maybe Fisher ran out of cage nuts that day?

I'm sure the factory wasn't this fussy when they built the car.

*** they sure weren't fussy when they built mine!

Les Honke
Winnipeg