<VV> A picture of the defective melted carb in

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu May 5 12:37:09 EDT 2005

Melted internal parts in carbs aren't all that uncommon but we usually  never
see them because the car quits immediately and the mechanic throws the
carburetor away.  Fires in carburetors are managed by metal air  cleaners, fire
arrestors and combustion resistant materials inside the air  cleaner.  We have
all witnessed backfires.  I had one singe my hair -  thank goodness I was
wearing safety glasses.  Backfires and subsequent  carburetor fires are especially
common on newly rebuilt engines where the  timing isn't quite adjusted and
folks tend to pour raw fuel into the carbs to  assist in the initial start-up.
Corvairs seem to be especially prone to  stuck floats and fuel overflows -
perhaps because Corvairs generally have 2  or 4 40 year-old carburetors.  It's
really common to have a stuck  float after a "dry-carb" new startup.  The usual
remedy is to tap on the  carb body (near the filter) with the handle of a large
screwdriver.  This  will usually "jog" the float loose and allow it to rise
and stop the fuel  overflow. Be careful out there you and your Corvair are both
unique and  irreplaceable!
Craig Nicol