<VV> Interesting yet sad web sites... classiccarsrotting

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri May 6 18:34:15 EDT 2005

At 11:31 hours 05/06/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>The several posts ofver the last 2 days  got me thinking.....
>
>Having grown up in the 60's [before I was 18! ggg]  And working in a carlot /
>being part of the "street scene".......NOTHING  should go to waste!  LOL!  I
>still hold to that.
>
>But reality is......Billions of cars produced over the years.....Americans
>have become "dumb" when it comes to appliances....."cheaper to buy another "
>Yea sure!  ggg But then again..Math is not a strong trait here in the
>US.  LOL!
>
>We're a "throw away" society......pictures prove it!  How many of these cars
>that weren't wrecked/rusted out....needed just 1 or 2  items to get them
>going....?????????

Not in MY camp.   I'm a believer in the old adage:

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

It's why I have a couple tons of Vair parts.

>Recently a person on another forum  was proud  of the amount of Vairs they'd
>possessed....said it didn't matter how many went to scrap........when I asked
>"how many do you still have?  and how many  are
>drivable?    SILENCE!   LOL!!
>  ggggg

The question should have been, "How many are sitting after a decade,
rotting into the ground?"

I can't remember how long it's been since I actually parted a Vair.  I've
saved more than a few which *would* have been parted and scrapped, many of
which are on the roads as we speak, others in storage.   My '60 4-door was
purchased by its previous owner to be parted out for the interior and the
gas heater before I intervened in 1984.

tony..