<VV> Cut- Down Fan

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 23:37:42 EDT 2005

Well, I wouldn't do anything dumb like THAT!
I recently repaired a water leak on my new '62 coupe.
Determined that the RH kick panel vent assembly was
leaking at the seal to the body.  Wrestled it out and
examined it and found that one of the holes for the
bolt (right where it was leaking) had been broken out,
and the plastic was cracked in the same area.  Decided
I would never get it to seal in that condition, so I
decided to "borrow" the vent assembly from my '64
project  (quickly becoming "Parts") car.  Spent quite
a while wrestling the assembly out of the '64.
Cleaned it up.  Since the door rubber was damaged I
also swapped the door from one assembly to the other.
Carefully checked everything out, applied the seal
rope to it, and installed in the '62.  Carefully
tightened all the screws and observed the satisfying
ooze of sealer.

Then I got my son (who had sprayed it before to help
me diagnose the leak) to come spray it again to be
sure we had fixed the problem.  Dry as a bone!  So
then I said, "let me show you what the problem was"
(intending of course to impress him with a good
example of wisdom).  Picked up the old broken vent
stack to show him the broken / cracked hole.  Took a
minute to get it oriented right side out and up and
down and ... couldn't find the broken hole.  Because
somewhere along the line I had picked up the wrong one
and REINSTALLED THE BROKEN ONE IN THE GOOD CAR!!

But that's not as dumb as forgetting to put the fan
on...right? :-)

<<Rick Norris said:
After tightening the last bolt I kind of stepped back
to get a better
look
at my handy work when something didn't look right.
Then the obvious hit
me.
I forgot to bolt the fan on first! Now, I am no novice
to Corvair
wrenching
but how OBVIUOS was that? As I was chuckling at my
omission I thought,
wonder how many other well experienced Corvair
mechanics have done the
same
thing? Well? I'm sure I'm not alone here!>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on