<VV> No Corvair - Zenith Carb Question

GYoungwolf at aol.com GYoungwolf at aol.com
Sun May 8 13:27:16 EDT 2005

I am working on the restoration of several very old Zenith 28/228 series
downdraft carbs (late 40's, early 50's) and discovered something I have not seen
before, and am hoping there is someone in our group who might have. These carbs
all have a steel insert in the accelerator pump cavity (looks just like the
one on a Rochester HV) that essentially blocks it off from use. The carbs had a
nonfunctioning (rusted and blocked) pump assembly installed in them. Any
ideas as to the purpose of the insert? I'm thinking the carbs might have been for
a special application like a generator or tractor that ran at a constant
speed, but that's just a guess. I've searched my carb literature without success.
Thanks for any insight and the space.
Grant Young