<VV> Differential Stuff.

Tom Wright tomsmail at sympatico.ca
Sun May 8 22:52:10 EDT 2005

Greetings All.

Nice weekend here in Sunny Southern Ontario Canada.

 I spent a little time on the differential, getting it ready to reassemble. I took the seals out of the side adjusters. I then ignored the manual (drill holes in the adjusters) and just put a 6" X 3/8" rod through the axle holes and tapped the bearing races out. Tapped the snout and pinion race out too. So now I am wondering why I can't tap the new snout and races back in. Other emails say "press" the snout in. Is this with the Swinging Press (hammer), or do I really need to press them in?

 Some have mentioned I should watch not to block the oil hole for the pinion race. I think the differential snout will not let this happen, or am I missing something here before I assemble the snout?

 I am putting new spiders, washers, etc in the diff. Used 3.55's. Any tricks I should know? No special coating or lube on the gears or pins for initial run in?

 Also, on an interior note. I put a 69 steering column in. I don't have anything to compare this one to, but between the dash and the steering wheel hub, it looks like there should be some sort of cover. There is a 'clip' on the bottom to hold the wires, but the rest of the column looks unfinished. Is there a cover? Anyone have one?

 I may not be spending as much time on the car with the weather getting better, but an hour here and there adds up.

C U

Tom Wright
St.Catharines
www.vaxxine.com/tomspage