<VV> pressure bleeder

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon May 9 13:54:51 EDT 2005

Just a thought... I have a regular commercial pressure bleeder and also a
hand-held mity-vac that came with a little bleeder reservoir.  I  always use the
Mity-vac.  The pressure bleeder has to have a fair amount of  fluid in it and
if you are working with DOT 3, 4, or 5, fluid it's hard to  flush for a
change over.  You also have to be cautious to  periodically refresh the fluid in
the bleeder so that you aren't putting aged  fluid in the car.  You also have to
take the time to reset the diaphragm  and bleed the bleeder with each refill.
 OK, 20 minutes later the  bleeder is ready but you have to get the correct
MC adapter and install it  so that it won't leak. This isn't easy and usually
involves little  chains and wingnuts.  Any error and the bleeder will dump all
of it's brake  fluid your watertight trunk.  It's not fun to find your trunk
floor 1" deep  in fluid plus the whole shelf under the MC is awash with fluid
too.  (This  ruins the splatter paint finish).  Plus, since the bleeder fills
the MC to  the top, there's always some spillage when the adapter comes off.
None of  this is a problem with a conventional car where the MC is on an open
firewall,  but on sealed trunk Corvairs, it's an issue.  Compare all that to
the  vacuum approach.  The only headache with the vacuum approach is that the
bleeder screws tend to put confusing bubbles into the clear vacuum hose and you
 have to keep an eye on the MC level. To minimize the bleeder leakage, I put
a little grease on the bleeder threads. Also, there's little to store with  a
Mity-vac and it has many other uses.  I have both systems and my  hand votes
for the vacuum approach.  Any one have a different experience  with these
units?
Craig (bled dry) Nicol