<VV> Corvairs and Deals from Hell

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed May 11 17:45:38 EDT 2005

My bad car adventure-
I had wanted a convertible all my life.  MY dad has a good 65 Corsa Vert
in his
garage, buried.  Wont see it for years!
So in early 2002 on Ebay I got a 63 vert $300 "shell" from Texas.  Did
not
look bad, but
big project.  Seller had stripped most of the car before putting it up
for sale and grossly misrepresented the item! After the item ended I
noticed his previous auctions... for
all the parts off of my car!
I am in Albuquerque, it is in Dallas.  How to get it back?  Well I had to
go out of town for 3 weeks for field school.  There I fell off a mountain
and broke my leg and had to come home.  So we figured, well now is the
time to get the car!  A friend looking for an adventure said he would go
with us to to get the thing, and we would use his truck, and he would pay
for gas and trailer rental even!
So him, me with a broken leg on crutches, and my sister Sally, hop in the
truck and take off.  Get there and wow is Dallas an unpleasant place while
in a leg cast!   Met the dirtbag with the car, and loaded it up while I
had the sinking
feeling of regret!  The car was completely rotted!

  Everything had serious rust and deep
chunks of bondo.  My first real encounter with a SALT car.  The
previous titled owners had
been killed in the Oklahoma City bombing, and the car had I guess been
auctioned to this guy.  I made the mistake of wasting some time stripping
its cheap paint before giving up on it.  Cut chunks 4 inches thick of
bondo out of the
doglegs!  Decided there was just no way to salvage it.

Now the positive side.  In late December of last year I found a solid
AZ/NM shell of a vert in January, and
using many
pieces
from the trash one, it is on the road, and my daily driver.  So far it at
least has the junk cars tranny, windhsield, clutch cable, and speedo
cable.  So some good finally came out of the ordeal!  The new one is not a
girl like the other Vairs, which are "The Lady Corsa", and "Yellows".  It
is a
bird, named "Cardinal" for its color!

-Geoff Johnson
63 Vert