<VV> Corvairs and Deals from Hell

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed May 11 20:46:39 EDT 2005

My story is pretty mild, and I wrote the whole thing up for publication in
the Communique back when it happened, but like every other article I've sent
that way since then, it never saw the light of day. So I'll recap.
     I'll start with the end: the guy who sold me my one and only Corvair
since 1965 was Sam Hickson of Homestead, Florida, and he became a good
friend and Corvair mentor in the six years between the time he sold me
Fireball and his death in 2002. By the time I met him, he had already
forgotten more about Corvairs than I'll ever know. He has owned over 30 in
his time.
     But the beginning was a little rough. When I test-drove Fireball (who
was in need of at least his second restoration by that time), I used Sam's
setup of a gas can with a rubber hose sticking into it to feed the carbs.
When I came around to pick the car up, Sam had hooked the gas tank back up
again. NOT a favor. I got about halfway home by the time the carbs filled up
so full of rust that it wouldn't run anymore. Fireball arrived at my house
on a hook, and I soon replaced the gas tank.
     Fresh from the tow truck, I came inside, where I found in the mail my
first issue of the Communique. I opened it up and there, in the classified
ads, I found Fireball being advertised by Sam himself for $500 less than the
$3000 I had just paid him (I paid the full price from his ad in the Old Car
Trader for our area).
     Sam professed surprise at my experience with the gas tank, but his real
surprise (and perhaps relief) came when I told him about the $500 he got me
for - and chuckled about it. I think I understand how these things happen,
and for me, Fireball was a bargain even at the higher price. The breakdown
on my maiden voyage was NOT so funny, but I'm sure I had whatever benefit
was to be had from Sam's best wishes.
     Fireball has since required replacement of just about everything else,
but has at virtually all times been a source of driving and visual pleasure
to me and all who see him. A fitting legacy to Sam Hickson, and ultimately a
very GOOD deal.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C