<VV> Engine rebuild fantasy

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Fri May 13 09:35:25 EDT 2005

Sam, a couple of comments.

First, I did a lot of research into similar issues related to my 180 rebuild
that is currently underway.  After a lot of discussion on VV and
conversation with local Vair experts, I ended up dropping most of my mods
from stock for the reason that the more of these changes you make, the less
likely you are to end up with a motor that runs well of the first try.  You
are now engineering by experiment, without the benefit of the factory's
resources.  If you are trying to build a motor that runs well so that you
can drive your car, be conservative.  If you are interested in learning a
lot more about motors and exercising your mechanical skills, go for it.

Second, there is a resource for some 140 "recipes" on the web.  It's the
Northern Vermont Corvair Enthusiast's web page:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=nvce

There are three recipes for three variations, two of which are 140s.  I
would think these would be a great starting point for what you have in mind.

Regards,

Norm Witte