<VV> Final Update - New Wiring Harness, No Lights

David Baker dbaker10 at twcny.rr.com
Mon May 16 19:57:44 EDT 2005

If you've followed this thread, you know I put a new fuse block
wiring harness in my '64 Spyder, then had no turn signals, brake
lights that worked, then didn't and no dash lights.

I found the brake switch sticking, so now I have brake lights. I
put the turn signal flasher from my old fuse block into the new
one when I installed the new wiring harness. I bought a new
flasher, installed it and now have turn signals. The other
flasher was less than 5 years old when it failed. I think it was
made in Indonesia, and was bought at Advance Auto Parts.

I found out why I had no dash lights. The headlight dimmer for
the dash lights was turned all the way to dim. I feel pretty
stupid.

I never even thought about that, since I always have the dash
lights turned up as bright as they will go. But, I had the
instrument panel out to paint the dash, and for some reason I
pulled the headlight knob and shaft out of the headlight switch.
So between pulling the shaft out, and putting it back in, the
headlight knob got turned to the dimmest position, and no dash
lights.

Sometimes we do stupid things for no reason. Anyway, sorry for
the trouble with my stupid questions. I was in a hurry to try to
get the problems fixed because I wanted to drive the car the next
day for a club event. Sometimes it's easier and quicker to ask
the experts than to try and troubleshoot something on your own.

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.

Dave