<VV> VA antique vehicle plates

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue May 17 17:28:39 EDT 2005

At 09:43 hours 05/17/2005, mhicks130 at cox.net wrote:
>Is there anyone here who knows the laws pertaining to antique/vintage
>plates in Virginia?  Specifically does it exempt you from the state safety
>inspection?

Yes it does.

>I was under the impression (from club members and the DMV) that it did.

It does.

>I got pulled over this morning by one of York countie's finest and he
>claims it doesn't.

He's not doing his job.  It's the responsibility of law enforcement
officers to KNOW THE LAW.   He didn't.    Been there done that with local
LEOs and if it ever goes to court they throw it out.

>I ended up not getting a ticket (but I had to listen to an hour long
>lecture on biblical revelations?!?!?).

I'd call "down town" and register a complaint.   The officer was wrong and
it could lead to unnecessary/unwarranted citations and an unnecessary trip
to traffic court for someone else who was also complying with the law.

>I want to do the right thing but I don't want to be bullied by the local
>sheriff deputies into doing something that isn't required.  Can anyone
>point me to the pertinant VA codes?  thanks

Available at any VA DMV location for the asking.

General info regarding antique vehicle registration is at:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/antique.asp

Also, check the web site:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-730

This page contains information regarding the registration and operation of
VA-registered vintage-antique motor vehicles.

Regarding VA-registered antique vehicles being exempt from safety
inspection/decal display:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1157

See paragraph Six.

Along with not being required to display a VA safety inspection sticker,
antique/vintage vehicles registered as such in the Commonwealth of Virginia
are not required to display a city or county "sticker" or decal.   These
are tax stamps and vintage/antique vehicles bearing antique plates are
tax-exempt in VA and thus are not required to display the decal nor are the
owners required to pay any tax...  although localities will sometimes send
you a property tax bill in the mail with "tax waived" on the listing for a
vintage vehicle...  and of course will still gladly sell you a "city
sticker" for your vintage car if you want one, although it's not required.

It's worth mentioning that due to many antique vehicles not having current
day mandated safety equipment, the requirement for such vehicles to submit
to and pass a VA safety inspection are waived and thus is not required to
submit to a safety inspection.

However, I'm told by people "down-town" that if the vehicle is involved in
any traffic accident which was due to the fault of a defect on the vehicle
that a safety inspection would have found and prevented, it's your
ass.    Make sure the vehicle is in good shape.  :)

tony..