<VV> VA antique vehicle plates

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue May 17 16:21:23 EDT 2005

Here is a link to the appropriate Code of Virginia text pertaining to
antique plates:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-730

Note that there are two categories of antique plate usage:
1) Occasional use for parades, travel to/from shows, club activities, etc.
and limited occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from the
owners home
-OR-
2) General transportation, which requires annual registration fees, annual
inspection, etc.

Note that while this section of the law does not specifically state that
inspections are NOT required for usage #1, it IS specifically so stated
here:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1157
2nd paragraph from the bottom:
"The provisions of this section shall not apply to any vehicle for
transporting well-drilling machinery licensed under § 46.2-700 or to any
antique motor vehicle or antique trailer as defined in § 46.2-100 and
licensed pursuant to § 46.2-730. "

So, whether your car requires inspection or not depends on how you are
driving it.  If you can show that you were using it appropriately under
category 1 of § 46.2-1171, then it does not need inspection; however, if you
were using it for general transportation, then it does.

Hope this helps!

Bill Hubbell
(I'm not a Lawyer, but my daughter is going to become one!)