<VV> Crank Nitriding/Engine case question Question

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 17 18:49:49 EDT 2005

Chris,
The early block questions have already been answered.  It's almost certainly
cheaper to buy a block off e-bay or one of the used vendors or from one of
the guys on this list.

As for the nitriding discussion you found, I'm not impressed.

Nitriding is not done to our cranks for wear resistance.  If you load the
bearings enough to fail the oil film and have actual metal-to-metal contact,
or have rocks in the oil that bridge the gap, nitriding is not going to
help.  MAYBE the added hardness helps at startup, when there is no oil film.

Nitriding is done to put the surface in compression.  In order for a fatigue
crack to start, it must get the surface into tension.  Bending forces on the
crank can do that.  If the surface is nitrided, there is a built-in
compression which must be overcome before the surface goes into tension.
So, the nitriding reduces cracking.

By the way, "increasing the Rockwell" does not increase the stiffness of the
crank.  It does increase the yield and fatigue strength, but at some point
the crank becomes brittle and will fail from shock loads.  This is a fine
line to be walking.

The best of all worlds is probably to harden the crank up to the maximum
save level, and then nitride it.  I suspect this is pretty much what GM
thought they were doing.

Roger