<VV> 100ft lbs torque?

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 18 19:39:16 EDT 2005

 I am preparing to install a PG transaxle on my rebuilt engine. Prior to
installation I replaced the axle seals in the differential. The ’65 book
says 100 fl lbs for the bolt that holds the yoke in. That seems awful
high for such a small bolt. I know the big yoke nut on the wheel end is
100-150 lbs.  I also filled the differential. I believe ½ inch below the
filler plug is sufficient. Any comments??

 It has taken one year + to complete the 140 engine rebuild and swap,
the engine may be installed in a week or two. The job included new rear
brake lines, remove and repair the complete heater box system
eliminating the fresh air inlet, replacing the engine skirt seal, paint
where needed, POR 15 the entire back of the car and Rusfre over the
whole bottom. The engine failed on the return trip from the Spring
Dustoff in New Hampshire just a year ago.

 I started with a different engine, so I still haven’t analyzed exactly
what happened to the one that failed, but it ran fine on 5 cylinders for
100 miles to limp home. I lost a cylinder - no smoke, no sound, no
crankcase pressure, no compression in #5.

 Friday we’ll take the ’69 convertible to the Spring Dustoff this year.
See you in Hopkinton NH on Saturday?

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS