<VV> Parts house fun

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu May 19 10:20:04 EDT 2005

Folks
Keiths story, true many more times than his own singular experience, is a
sad commentary on the service industry, and the auto parts business in
particular.

It's true that everyone has to start somewhere. But that doesn't mean you
start on the counter trying to help customers knowing virtually nothing.

NAPA hires drivers with no parts experience, the drivers begin to get a feel
for the business delivering parts that are invoiced to the customers. By
having to compare parts numbers and descriptions to the invoices, at least
they know a muffler bearing from a knibbling pin <G>.

As a Counter Trainee (next step up from driver), a trainee continues to
drive, but starts learning the computer system from the training course, so
at least they know which category a customers request is in to look it up.
Of course NAPA's Parts Pro computer system now reaches back to 1928.
Trainees also have courses on how to use the books, something AFAIK NO other
company does.

I believe this training by NAPA is done because 90% of their business is
still commercial, and they can't have their customers po'ed by having to
talk to a (through no fault of their own) ignorant newbie in the parts
business---time is money.

And, of course, how much can you expect from someone who is making 7.00 or
less per hour for a full time job on the counter because the chains don't
feel it important to pay a parts person like it's a real career??  NAPA
drivers start at 8.00/hr.

Until the last scenario changes, regardless if it's a Corvair, or your
relatively new water pumper in the driveway, a trip to the parts house will
continue to be many times exactly as Keith described, less the pretty blonde
part.

Hank