<VV> Distributor bushing replacement question.

Macdonald David dmacd_us at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 12:54:02 EDT 2005

I'm tracking down an occasional backfire through the
car, always on the left side. It happens as I tip in
the throttle lightly when cruising at about 2000 rpm.
I'm guessing it may be fuel related I have only
balanced the carbs at idle. Specifically the left side
may be opening a little later than the right causing
it to run lean and backfire. Other suggestions?

For now, I'm working around this problem by avoiding
light use of the throttle. Luckily, this requires
little change from my normal driving habits.
Everything is just fine with all four carbs wide open.

In the process of tracking the problem down I have
noticed that my timing is erratic at idle. The timing
mark will jump around 5 or 6 degrees at idle. I
checked the lateral movement of the distributor shaft
and found about 5 thousands which is out of spec.

My '65 shop manual says the oilite bearing is not
serviceable but the vendors sell them. There is
nothing in the Corsa Tech Guide. I did not want to
pull the distributor apart because I'm planning to go
to the Spring Dust off in New Hampshire tomorrow.

Can someone tell how difficult replacing the bearing
is?

David Macdonald
'65 Canadian Corsa 140 Coupe
Acton, MA