<VV> Re: Alternator Pulley Grip

Woody Lawrence woody at videoeng.com
Sat May 21 00:20:55 EDT 2005

I had similar symptoms with our 1990 Cherokee.  When the engine was running, the voltage would rise above the 13.2 volt battery voltage to about 13.6 to 13.8 but it would never get to the 14.6 volts that it should be operating at.  This would kind of charge the battery but it wouldn't bring it to a full charge and as the electrical load was increased, lights heater etc, the voltage would fall back down, eventually draining the battery  I checked and made sure that the belt was not slipping.  It turned out to be a bad alternator.  We replaced it and all was well.  Good luck.

Woody Lawrence

63 8 Door Greenbrier
64 8 Door Corvair 95 panel van
65 Monza 4 door