<VV> Re: cleaning oil cooler

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun May 22 10:56:17 EDT 2005

The simplist way to (at least partially) clean the oil cooler may be
with brake cleaner, but it probably won't remove lacquer and carbon
build up.  Carburator parts cleaner made with chrysolic [sp?] acid will
be more thorough.  It will discolor aluminum a bit if your part isn't in
deep enough to be well under the water seal used to keep the acid from
evaporating.

Use eye and hand protection.  Just as hydrofluoric acis reduces glass,
and nitric/sulfuric acid mix disolves gold, chrysolic acid disessambles
organic material, which includes you.

kirby