<VV> Memory test -- parking brake alarm switch

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Sun May 22 11:56:26 EDT 2005

I have a box of parts listed under one part number that I obtained from
GM many years ago.  The part is 4889278 from Group 11.950.  The parts
comprise a small bracket and a push switch.  The push switch is not
unlike those used on our doors except it has a right angle electrical
connector.  The bracket is generally triangular, about 1.5 inches in its
longest dimension.  With the triangular surface horizontal, there is a
small tab extending down and a larger tab extending up.  The triangular
surface and the larger tab have unthreaded holes.  The triangular
surface hole easily passes the thread of the switch.  The hole in the
tab is a little undersized relative to the thread size of the switch.

The package includes Instruction Sheet No. X-889278 directing the user:
"When using #4889278 as a Parking Brake Alarm switch on Corvair models,
tape as shown below using commercial electrical tape."  There are no
instructions on mounting.

I undoubtedly ordered this switch long ago expecting it to easily adapt
to the function of a parking brake alarm switch.  But yesterday I spent
considerable time examining the parking brake handle in relationship to
the nearby parts and do not see any practical way that this switch can
be mounted nearby using the bracket.  I'm not sure that there is a
practical way with any bracket without serious disassembly of the
steering, parking, and clutch shaft parts in order to drill holes where
they can't be drilled with the assemblies installed in the car.

My question is: Anyone remember this part?  Was it intended for Corvairs
in general, LM Corvairs in general, only some very late model that had a
different design of parking brake parts than my 1966?  Am I barking up
the wrong tree and the assembly is supposed to be mounted somewhere else?

Thanks for any help

Kirby