Old's Jetfire Turbo - was <VV> RE: Turbo Question

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun May 22 20:04:02 EDT 2005

Joel and Doc,
       Joel's right, it was too sophisticated for the users and the Olds
service depts. to handle.  In order for the aluminum water cooled engine to handle
5 to 6 psi of boost with 10.25 compression ratio, the Jetfire's single barrel
sidedraft carb included a water injection system, fed, of course, by Olds
"Turbo Rocket Fluid", a mix of water, methanol and probably corrosion inhibitors.
 This was metered in from a tank pressurized by boost pressure.  The tank had
an indicator that lit up a warning light for the driver if the level of fluid
dropped dangerously low.  If the driver ignored that warning, an extra
butterfly valve was partially closed in the carb so that boost was prevented.
       Frank "likes boost" Burkhard