<VV> The Lousy Cop (Jon Miller)

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun May 22 22:55:51 EDT 2005

Jon

All too true.

Many times we don't reflect on what we don't know about our jobs, but expect
every cop out there to have intimate knowledge of every law.  It's patently
impossible!!!

I HIGHLY recommend any Corvair owner to keep copies of pertinent laws in
their glovebox.  When confronted with the printed evidence, there isn't an
officer out there who won't mind being corrected. Unlike the people he
stops,  HE KNOWS he doesn't know everything.

For Example: If you have a  greenbrier sportwagon,  your title might have
the letters SW in the VIN??? More than one officer has miskaken this for
STATION WAGON instead of SPORTWAGON, and may suggest you have re-vin'ed the
vehicle because it was stolen. Keeping a copy of the explanation of that in
the glove box may just save you a hassle on the road someday. Don't ask me
how I know this.

A while back Smitty had a problem with his safety inspector.  I had a
similar situation in VA with my 65 monza---

Inspector asked---Where's the rear seatbelts??
I told him ---Optional Equipment in 65---look it up?? He did.

Inspector asked ---Where's the Backup lights??? (I Had 4 tail-light lenses
with jumpers)
I told  him----Optional Equipment again---look it up??  He did.

Now I would just keep copies of that in the glove box to show him---after
all he was only 24 and not too familiar with the way things---"Used to be".
Would help with the cops as well.

Regards
HANK