<VV> The Lousy Cop (Jon Miller)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 23 13:17:47 EDT 2005

At 07:41 hours 05/22/2005, Jon Miller wrote:
>This is for what I consider a disturbing thread. It was written by Trooper
>Mitchell Brown of the Virginia State Police two months before he was
>killed in the line of duty.

I live in VA.   The VA State Police have high standards.    Not everyone
has the credentials to make that particular force.

The VA State Police are a class act.   I have NEVER been mistreated or
given grief by a VA State Cop.   Nor have I ever been ticketed by one
(once) for something I didn't deserve (speeding) and even then he marked
the ticket down to give me a break on the fine.   He was doing his job,
enforcing the law, and he still gave me a break.

Now:   There's enforcing the law, and there's public service.   There have
been numerous instances where a VA State Cop has gone out of his way to
check to see if I was OK should I be on the roadside somewhere for whatever
reason.

Once, when I was stopped while towing a Vair from outta town, was doing a
walk-around stretching my legs and checking things out with the tow dolly
to make sure all was well... another time I was stopped while digging in
the glove box for a screwdriver to tighten the screw under the dash to make
the gauges work right...  twice I've screwed up and run out of fuel by not
paying attention and both times a State cop stopped and gave me gas from
the can in his trunk.   In one instance I had a blowout on my Goldwing
motorcycle (ran over something flat and sharp that got kicked up by the
front wheel and rammed through the back tire when it hit the object) and
after wobbling all over the road I ended up in the ditch in the center of
the median between the lanes of the Interstate, with a flat rear tire in
foot tall grass and weeds and pop bottles.   However, before long a State
policeman stopped in the median, helped me push the bike back up to the
shoulder, went to  a car parts store and brought me back a can of
"fix-a-flat" which didn't work, just ran out the hole (but it was a worthy
effort) and then called a wrecker for me (and it was the wrecker of *my*
choice, not a "state contracted" wrecker service) and then made it a point
to cruise back and forth in the immediate area until he was sure I'd been
taken care of and able to get things loaded up and be on my way.

The VA State Police are a class act and I for one have high regard and much
respect for them.    No arguments here about their performance.    These
are cops the way cops should be.

tony..   cops in the family