<VV> Corvair Parts/HD Shock Absorbers

Nick Elzinga starship at worldonline.co.za
Mon May 23 05:42:06 EDT 2005

I suppose it's a case of everyone to their own thing, but why would you want
HD shocks on your car?  My Corvair - a 65 Monza Coupe - came with heavy duty
shocks and it rode like an empty truck.  The ride was absolutely appalling
with no give in the suspension.  I removed the shocks that were in and
fitted adjustable Gabriels.  Do you really want a car that jars your teeth
every time you hit a bump?  I don't.

On mine we matched a set, which it turned out also fitted the last of the
rear wheel drive Corolla station wagons from what I recall and they work
fine for me.  The front was a match from an original set of spiral GM shocks
that the local Gabriel manufacturer modified for me, as the bottom bracket
was a bit of a problem.  If the settings are soft, firm and extra firm, I
think I have the front on soft and the rear on firm.

Surely Clarks will have something that will work for you?  I see top quality
high pressure gas shocks listed on page 139 of the catalog and if they are
out of those, they recommend Carreras listed just below on the same page.

Nick Elzinga
Cape Town
South Africa