<VV> Corvair Parts/HD Shock Absorbers

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Mon May 23 06:27:38 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Elzinga" <starship at worldonline.co.za>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 5:42 AM
Subject: RE: <VV> Corvair Parts/HD Shock Absorbers

> I suppose it's a case of everyone to their own thing, but why would you
want
> HD shocks on your car?  My Corvair - a 65 Monza Coupe - came with heavy
duty
> shocks and it rode like an empty truck.  The ride was absolutely appalling
> with no give in the suspension.  I removed the shocks that were in and
> fitted adjustable Gabriels.  Do you really want a car that jars your teeth
> every time you hit a bump?  I don't.

A shock absorber isn't a spring (in most cases), nor does it act like one
(in most cases).  "Heavy Duty" shocks may have a slightly more aggressive
"jounce-rebound ratio" valving, but not necessarily.  Usually "heavy duty"
is a euphemism for a slightly larger shock bore diameter than stock.  Either
way, "blaming" a shock for the harshness of the ride is akin to blaming a
thermometer for the temperature in a room!  That's something that the
springs and bushings are generally responsible for, not the shocks.

Besides, as an old racer, a suspension that doesn't let you feel it when you
run over a centerline paint-stripe is pretty darn "cushy"!

John