<VV> Re: PARTS CLEANING

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon May 23 06:10:36 EDT 2005

i buy recycled laquer thinner by the 5 gallon drum cheap to use for parts
cleaning. i have a gallon can with a basket from long ago small carb cleaner.
this works great for rinsing/cleaning many parts and all hardware as i work on
things.  soak for a few mins and blow dry and paint or whatever.  i also have a
regular parts washer for larger stuff.  carb cleaner does ok(i have a pail)
but i like the thinner better on most stuff, including carbs.
start shootin , i know what works fer me.  i also have a large parts cleaning
tank i made out of a cut down discarded water softener salt tank(fiberglass)
with a nice lid. it holds an engine, transmission case, or a differential.  i
soak them in old gasoline(outdoors!) my other idea of using an old dishwasher
with the heater unhoked did not really work out that good. baking heads or
transmission cases etc in the oven, i have outside shop door, for a few mins
seems to really help oily dirty stuff come clean.  after letting it cool , just
hit it with air gun and most of the crud just blows away .i plug the oven in my
welder outlet when i want to use it. it is a discarded built in unit.
use common sense when working with flammable stuff, those fumes will travel a
long ways looking for a flame...i know my methods are not for everybody but
they have done well for me for many years...oh yes , then there is the blast
cabinent..
regards, tim colson..sick of cleaning parts.