<VV> Corvair Parts/HD Shock Absorbers

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Mon May 23 08:12:26 EDT 2005

I like a firm ride and sharp handling. Even in cars where I want a softer ride, I _still_ want heavy damping.
I have found that a Corvair really needs agressive damping, even with stock (non- HD) springs.  Corvairs
aare VERY softly sprung compared to most European and/or modern cars but stiffer than most
American cars from the era; you can't expect a Cadiilac ride from one... but it's cushy comapred to a live
axle Mustang or Camaro.  I can't stand to drive a Corvair with cheap shocks on it.

There are only a handful of shocks I would put on my Corvairs:

Bilsteins: Best Corvair shock EVER, but darn near impossible to foind. Have not been made in years
and years, but old ones can be rebuilt by the factory. Nice firm handling with smooth ride.

Carrera: Designed by a Corvair racer for optimal handling, these shocks offer the absolute best shock
performance due to the damping on both compression and extension. However, they transmit a great
deal of vibration into the car and give the harshest ride.  I use these in both my track car and street car,
both with cut HD springs. The handling is superb, but the ride is harsh.

Koni: 2 options here. The Konis made specifically for Corvair applications with special valving (hard to
find and $$$ as a limited run was made by mistake and Clarks bought them all) and "standard" Konis
that will work on a Corvair. Both are exceptional, offering nice control but a smooth ride. These are the
most realistic option available for a quality shock. My wife's 'vert runs stock non-HD springs and the
special Konis and the ride is as good as any Corvair I've been in while the handling is nicely controlled.
I'm moving to a set of these for my street car.

Gabriel Adjustables from Clarks: These represent the cheapest option that I find acceptable. The ride is
as good as the Koni, but the handling not as controlled.

Red Ryders: Cheap, cheap, cheap... I ran these for years. Better than any other cheap shock, but really
a poor performer when you compare to the above shocks.

The ride itself in a Corvair is in large part due to the tire sidewall stiffness, tire width (wider tires generally
ride rougher), air pressure, spring choice. (HD springs are going to noticably make the ride rougher.)
Some shocks (like the Carerras and cheap oil-filled shocks) will transmit more vibration to the body.

Bill Elliott