<VV> Dumb Question (Now Salt Air, etc.)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon May 23 18:30:02 EDT 2005

Hi Cecil,

I would say that salt air, is salt air and will create a problem almost
anywhere.  I think that the general idea is that the accumulation of salt air,
winter conditions with road salt, snow, slush etc. and generally high humidity
conditions all year in some states causes more of a problem than other states
with fewer of these issues.  When I lived in Minnesota, people would use the fact
that the car was a "Dakota car" as a selling point because they used cinders
instead of salt on the roads.

California is a fairly big state and as a percentage, relatively little of
the land area is close enough to the ocean to have a salt air issue.  I would
say that FL has approximately the same shore front but less land area.  In
addition, there is a relatively short rain season here after which we experience
close to desert conditions.  All in all, I would say that CA cars are held up as
a standard because of the relatively benign conditions and the fact that
there are probably a lot more CA cars than there are AZ, NV, NM cars, etc.  FL
cars don't experience road salt, snow, etc. but they do experience year round
humidity and/or rain.  Also, I hear that approximately 50% of the cars in FL
belong or used to belong to relocated Snow Birds and have seen significant road
salt.  Is that correct?  Just kidding.

I am the proud owner of a Canadian (now Californian) Corsa.  However, the PO
promised me that it came from a part of Canada that never saw any snow and
therefore saw no road salt.  I wonder what part of Canada that was.  Kidding
aside, I bring this up because we should all be aware that cars tend to migrate
almost as much as people over the 40 or so years of their lives.  A car located
in CA doesn't necessarily mean that it is a "CA car."  You might assume that
an LA built vehicle might have lived its entire life here but there is no
guarantee.  In addition, there are some areas of CA that see significant snow every
year and are fairly humid year round.  The point being that wherever the car
is presently or was built, you should always check the usual areas of the car
for rust and rot damage.  You never know.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 5/23/2005 2:17:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,