<VV> Alternator Pulley Grip

goofyroo at excite.com goofyroo at excite.com
Tue May 24 10:00:14 EDT 2005

1. Smell it?
2. Hear it?
3. See it? (excessive wear).
AND, if it REALLY is slipping - then why? Bad bearing in the alternator?
Let me ask you this? Does it have the correct "Corvair" fan on it? If not, THAT could be your problem.

Good questions, all.  The working theory is belt slippage due to mismatch of belt and pulley.  The belt is aftermarket (boo, hiss) and probably a tad wider than the stock/vendor belts.  As I'm using the original Corvair generator pulley, that mismatch may be just enough ...

... in combination with the fact that the Corvair belt arrangement puts only about 1/3 of the alt pulley in contact anyway.  Like you, I doubted the slippage theory because I've heard/smelled AC compressor pulleys slip and it was unmistakable.  However, this may be just enough slippage to diminish output, unlike an AC situation where the compressor isn't turning or turns very, very slowly while the belt screams around it.

My local alt rebuilder - in the business 25 years - hasn't seen an alt put out low voltage unless the belt was slipping.  This is the second alt on the car to show this symptom, which suggests the problem isn't in the unit itself.

I do have a magnesium ('64) fan on the car, if that's what you're asking.  The alt pulley is early Corvair, too, so it has a cooling fan built into it.

Finally, the belt is showing wear earlier than I would have expected.  Which suggests heat build-up either causing, or caused by, the slippage.

That's my story until proven otherwise.  Belts on order.  I'll follow-up.  Thanks to everyone who've put their mind to this for me.

Michael Smith
Dallas