<VV> A question for automatic Corvair owners...PCV

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Tue May 24 16:38:13 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/24/2005 11:23:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cash.case at sbcglobal.net writes:

> '65 Monza 110/pg
>
> The vent tube that comes out of the block under the fan is the one that
> goes to the positive crankcase valve. When I took mine off when I
> started this engine rebuilt (years ago) I noticed that it was not
> completely hollow. It had a tiny hole instead of being just a hollow
> tube which is what I thought it was.
>
> The question is why the tiny hole? In other 6-cyl. cars of the time it
> was just a tube to the pcv.
> Why is it tiny and is there a variance in size from engine to engine?

The orifice [ 0.060"]   is THE  Positive Crankcase Vent    there is no
checkvalve!  It's not needed due to the long balance tube.

The size was "standard"  and usually adequate.....but can be enlarged
slightly without affecting idle quality ...... if you run at higher RPMS  for great
lengths of time.

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Chairman V V