Fwd: <VV> Alternator Pulley Grip

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue May 24 13:29:03 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/24/2005 10:01:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
goofyroo at excite.com writes:

I do have a magnesium ('64) fan on the car, if that's what you're asking.
The alt pulley is early Corvair, too, so it has a cooling fan built into it.
In my experience ALL Corvair alternators had a combined pulley/fan.  Is yours
really a Corvair fan/pulley?  Our fan blades worked the opposite of other
Chevys.  If the wrong fan is installed the diode end overheats quickly.  In
addition, you have to have the correct size pulley for the alternator to turn at
its minimum speed at idle to put out adequate voltage.  The alternator has to
turn at 1400 to 1500 rpm at idle so if you have the wrong pulley (too large) you
won't get adequate current output (and since only the Corvair pulley has the
correct fan to pull air through the end frame you'll have an overheated
alternator as well).

Bob Hall
Group Corvair