<VV> Differential yoke movement. (LM)

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Fri May 27 15:51:53 EDT 2005

With the drive shafts removed from the car, (or with them in the car for that matter) what would be a normal amount of movement (in and out) of the yokes at the differential.  If one pushes and pulls on the yoke, with the drive shafts out, or pushes and pulls on the rear wheel, with the drive shafts installed, how much movement of the yokes in and out of the differential is considered normal.  I have several transaxle assemblies that are not in a cars, and they all seem to have something in the neighborhood of .030 of play. (Give or take....I did not use a dial indicator).

The reason I am asking is that a friend while having an alignment done on his 65 Monza (110/4 Speed) was told by the alignment person that both sides of the differential had end play in the yokes, but was not supposed to.  (He is not a Corvair expert, but seems to think he is). My friend is concerned that he has a problem, but from what I am seeing in transaxles not mounted in cars, (I have 3, 1 with a 4 speed transmission, and two with P/G transmissions) and all seem to have some play in the yokes, and is probably normal.  Neither he nor I claim to know much about transmissions and differentials.  Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.