<VV> Steering me wrong

Tom Wright tomsmail at sympatico.ca
Sun May 29 17:52:00 EDT 2005

Well, how does something that should be easy end up hard?

I have the Flaming River steering box ready to put in my 66 coupe. I have a 69 steering column, so I have the steering coupler mounted on the box. Those in the know are familiar with the grinding process I had to do on a brand new box to get the coupler on. So why does it rub on the frame? Shouldn't this be the same setup as a 69? And this is with two washers spacing the box out from the frame already.

http://vaxxine.com/tomspage/Box1.JPG

http://vaxxine.com/tomspage/Box2.JPG

So I am looking for advice (again). I have three options that I can see.

1: Space the box away from the frame enough to (try) and get enough clearance.

2: Try to grind the frame away from the coupler (and spring thing that holds the rubber retainer ring on).

Maybe something will come to me as I sleep. Just didn't think there was a frame difference. Anything I am missing?

Thanks everyone!

Tom Wright
St.Catharines
www.vaxxine.com/tomspage