<VV> Steering me wrong

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Sun May 29 20:59:15 EDT 2005

> I have the Flaming River steering box ready to put in my 66 coupe. I have a 69 steering column, so I have the steering coupler mounted on the box. Those in the know are familiar with the grinding process I had to do on a brand new box to get the coupler on. So why does it rub on the frame? Shouldn't this be the same setup as a 69? And this is with two washers spacing the box out from the frame already.
>
> http://vaxxine.com/tomspage/Box1.JPG
>
> http://vaxxine.com/tomspage/Box2.JPG

Tom,

I put in the FR box too and have a late 65 column, but I bought the
optional Flaming River intermediate shaft that can collapse 3 inches for
a safety margin. It's coupler is not as big as your picture of the stock
unit. I did have a small problem with an allen set screw that was too long
and hit frame till I shortened it. It is not cheap but the FR shaft does
add that margin of safety.

regards,

frank