<VV> Survey: Longest trip in a Corvair?

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun May 29 20:31:40 EDT 2005

> These "coming home"  stories are great...soooooooooo  ggggg
*********
Not quite a " coming home upon purchase" story, but I have driven my Blue
Mex '66 110 4 all over the midwest ( about 60,000 miles ) since bringing it
home since picking it up in '89 in Albuquerque ..... anyway, apart from
having the pos chokes stick "on" several times, and the dimmer foot button
going to " all off intermittantly " one night 50 miles from home ( a new one
fixed it in 5 minutes ) .... the car has been more reliable than our newer
ones....at least I can fix the little 'vair with rubber bands and tin foil

The neatest thing of all was returning last year from Sioux Falls ( 300
miles ), I blew a fan belt ( first one ever in 40 years of corvairs !! ...
and I knew it was going... deep cracks and 10 years wear and tear ... ) ...
anyway, coasting off at the next I29 exit, just south of Sioux Falls, I
noticed a van followed me off at the same lonely exit ... before I had even
gotten stopped, the van pulled up and the whole dang family inside was
pointing and yelling " hey looka thet corvair " ... turns out the guy had
one currently, and was tickled to death to help me stretch a backup belt on
.. 4 hands make it easy ...

Dang!  Moved my faith in humanity to a permanent glowing "win " .

Regards, ken campbell, iowa ...
judging by the number of people that claim they have had one, GM must have
made like 70 million of them ....(g)   ... oh yeah, and most claim they were
turbocharged ....