<VV> Survey: Longest trip in a Corvair?

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sun May 29 20:34:34 EDT 2005

Longest trip: Miami to Philadelphia, towing a U-Haul possibly heavier than
the car (but balanced properly).
     First: engine overheats (flat terrain, hot weather). Solution: take off
engine compartment lid and add to contents of U-Haul. Worked beautifully -
four bolts.
     Then: distributor shaft seizes in the distributor why: me. I had
decided the bearing didn't need oiling every 1,000 miles, as specified in
the Owner's Manual, so I oiled it every 2,000 miles (probably perfectly OK
in itself, but). "Overhauling" the distributor, I found this "gunk" in the
oiler passage, little suspecting that it was a much-needed wick. I removed
the "gunk." Solution: park (not optional), go to a nearby junkyard, select a
likely-looking Corvair (1962 or later - self-oiling distributor bearing,
like I'd been wanting for some time), put on mine. Works great, and
continues to do so for remainder of car's life (another 4 years).
     Arrived in Philadelphia (a tragedy in itself) without further incident
until about 4 months later, when the car suddenly loses all motive power.
Problem: spline lands in bore of differential pinion shaft worn away. I
wonder if having towed that 2-ton trailer 1500 miles might have accelerated
the wear at that particular point?
     Never towed anything with a Corvair since.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C