<VV> Survey: Longest trip in a Corvair?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 29 23:53:01 EDT 2005

For me.. about 3,000 miles in one week.  Shortly (about 5 months) after I
first put the blue convert on the road.  Camped for about half the trip.
Tent, sleeping bag, cooking equipment, cooler, etc with me for the ride.  It
was in mid October and one camp ground I pulled into in South Dakota would
not let me stay.  They were closed for the season and when I asked why -
because "We usually have two feet of snow on the ground by now!"  It was a
cool evening - but nice.  No car problems on that trip.

So, I found another with a sign reading "Camp here, Custer did!"

The car (odometer) now has 80,000+ since I first put it on the road 10 years
ago.  Well, the engine has a lot less - around 9 - 10,000.

Most GRULING trip was Dallas convention - 900 miles one way, 15 hours of
driving after only 3 hours of sleep.  Only problem, starter was acting up
some of the time.  No problem, stick shift - just park where I can get a
roll started.  Checked the next day after waking up - bolts holding the
starter on were loose.

Later, JR