<VV> installing front and rear glass foe early

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Mon May 30 11:26:23 EDT 2005

At 10:10 AM 5/30/2005 -0400, Dorairaj Isaac wrote:
>I am in the process of installing the front and rear glass for my '62 sedan.
>I have new rubber seals. The car has the metal inserts in the rubber.  Could
>someone please tell me how to put the glass on. First I put the rubber on
>the glass, now do I install the glass in the car and then install the metal
>mouldings that go into the rubber or do I install the metal in the rubber
>and then install the whole assembly, glass, rubber and moulding on to the
>car?
>Any information will be most welcome.
>Thanks.
>
>Dorai

Hi Dorai,
I thought this would be easy and tried it on my Deluxe Greenbrier.  I wound
up giving up and having a professional install it.  It was less than $100
for the installation and well worth it.

As to your question, the metal goes into the rubber FIRST.  That is the
ONLY way it will work.  Then the glass and the whole floppy assembly goes
in last.  There are instructions in the CORSA Tech Guide and
Supplement.  HIGHLY recommended.  There is a trick to using some long
string that goes all around and into the pinch molding rubber part and when
you have the rubber/metal/glass placed on the front of the vehicle, you
pull the string out into the car and the rubber flaps inward.  As you pull
the string out moving from the center bottom to each side, the rubber flap
opens up and helps hold the glass against the bottom of the pinch
weld.  Keep pulling and it slowly will come back as it slowly gets more
rubber around the pinch weld.  You need to press the glass and rubber in
from the front GENTLY to make sure everything goes in right.  It really
should be done by two people with at least one well experienced.  Using
WD-40 helps glide the rubber into the pinch weld.  Then you need to use
silicone windshield sealer to keep the water out.

After having seen it done once a couple of years ago, I would STILL use a
mobile glass installer for the labor.  These guys do this many times each
day and have the tools and experience to be well worth it.

-- Larry