<VV> installing front and rear glass foe early

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue May 31 13:09:23 EDT 2005

At 07:10 hours 05/30/2005, Dorairaj Isaac wrote:
>I am in the process of installing the front and rear glass for my '62 sedan.
>I have new rubber seals. The car has the metal inserts in the rubber.  Could
>someone please tell me how to put the glass on. First I put the rubber on
>the glass, now do I install the glass in the car and then install the metal
>mouldings that go into the rubber or do I install the metal in the rubber
>and then install the whole assembly, glass, rubber and moulding on to the
>car?
>Any information will be most welcome.
>Thanks.

Try to have the trim already in the rubber *before* you install the
glass/gasket in the car.   The trim "loops" under the rubber gasket and is
in fact "trapped" in the gasket by the glass once everything is installed
in the car and the rubber gasket seated in place.   You'll find it
extremely difficult to get the trim into the gasket, especially the lower
long piece, with the gasket and glass in place in the frame.   In fact, you
stand a good chance of cracking the glass if you try.

Attempts to install the trim with the glass and rubber already in place
will be an exercise in futility.   It's no walk in the park doing it as
described above on a good day and you have experience, and if you've not
installed early Vair glass before, I'd consider an auto glass shop for sake
of your peace of mind and to avoid cracking the glass.  To insure success,
it usually takes two people who know what's going on to install a glass
with embedded trim in the gasket.
It *can* be done by one person with some of the right tools...   but you
will NOT enjoy it.

tony..