<VV> Re:Survey: Longest trip in a Corvair?

DTerry8123 at aol.com DTerry8123 at aol.com
Mon May 30 19:43:19 EDT 2005

The longest trip I have made in a Corvair was in 1962. My family (Father,
Mother and Brother) drove from Atlanta to Anchorage Alaska and return in our
1960 500 3 speed 4 door. The total mileage was 10008. The return trip included a
 detour through Banff National Park in Canada and Yellowstone. The trip north
 took 9 1/2 days. The return trip took 12 days. The only problems were:
1.The shifter was knocked out of adjustment on the Alaska Hwy. 2. A flat tire on
a detour in Nebraska.

The second longest was from San Diego to Atlanta via San Francisco. In my  65
Corsa 140. (about 3000 miles total) This was in 1970. The only problem  was
driving about 1100 miles between Las Vegas and Oklahoma City in  ice and snow.
I made the 900 miles between Williams, AZ and Oklahoma City in 23  hours. I
was trying to outrun the bad weather. I did all the driving. My Ex  was 5 months
pregnant and didn't drive.

In more recent times, I have driven from Woodstock, GA to Daytona Beach, FL
(The 2000 convention) In the same 65 Corsa. The round trip distance was  over
1000 miles including the rally, etc., with no problems. And to Danville, VA
in 2002, for the Racers Reunion. That was about 1000 miles round trip. The
only problem was a balky windshield wiper motor (fixed on the road with the
Chuckster's help.)

Dan Terry
65 Corsa 140,
Corvair Atlanta Director