<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 4, Issue 202

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon May 30 20:02:54 EDT 2005

> In a message dated 5/30/2005 11:28:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dougmackintosh at yahoo.com writes:
>
> > 1) Where is the air coming from?
> > 2) How did the fluid get high in one reservoir and low
> > in the other?

I'd check out the master cylinder.
http://www.e-z.net/~ts/mascyl.htm
There are 3 seals on the piston between the front/rear sections.  But 2 of the 3 are very directional, with the lips pointing to keep pressure in the F or R section.  It looks to me like If the main pressure seal in one chamber is bad, the pressure seal in the other chamber would tend to pump the leaked fluid into its chamber if it got the chance.  All that would have to happen is the bore over which the middle seal slides to get rusty.

I'd probably equalize the fluid levels, then pump the pedal 50 or 100 times.  I'd expect/hope that probably ought to re-create the fluid transfer, and maybe even cause the MC to show its true colors and fail outright.