<VV> FC Steering jacket removal help needed

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Mon May 30 22:17:11 EDT 2005

Hi,
I replaced my FC steering gearbox and have now noticed that the steering
jacket surrounding the steering wheel shaft is the wrong type, possibly one
from a car, but not sure.  I was able to pull this jacket right out, but
cannot remove the jacket from the removed gearbox.  The wrong one has an
expanded diameter at the steering wheel and has four tabs coming up into
the steering wheel upper hub with the turn signal mechanism in it.  The one
I cannot remove is a constant diameter tube and has the cutout near the
upper end for the cables to come out of.  The upper end is the same
diameter as the rest of the jacket.

My problem is that I cannot find any attachment other than a press or rusty
fit where the jacket enters the gear box.  I have two steering boxes with
this same type jacket and neither one comes off.  I can find no locking
hardware from an outside view and this does not appear to be in the shop
manual.  I have used a penetrating solvent and banged on the jacket tube
near the gear box, but nothing moves.  I have a torch, but am reluctant to
use it since the cast part surrounding the jacket seems pretty robust and
with thick walls.

Thanks for any help,

Larry Forman