<VV> Autocross progress report

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Mon May 30 22:17:09 EDT 2005

All gear heads,
   1960 Orange 500 coupe.
   As is typical in Indiana we drove 2 hours to the Columbus airport in a
thunder storm. It cleared up about 11:00AM . The first group (treaded tires ) ran
6 runs in an almost dry track. The 2nd group (us) ran in bright sunshiny
conditions of about 75 degrees..couldn't be better.
  Certain Corvair weather wimps (Paul and Jeff) chickened out and missed a
great event. I realy wanted to run against them to get a bench mark feeling.
  As it was, I didn't get FTD this time, I was beaten by a C/sports racer,and
a Lotus 7 replica, maybe a Mini and a Honda---not sure.
   Michael and a co driver ran his Yenko YS045 in STS. Great sounds from the
stage III engine---106 DB at 50 ft.
   Several changes have worked out well. The brakes are much better now that
I have changed the mechanical advantage by moving the brake pedal fulcrum.
   The handling is getting very close to right. It even starts all of the
time now---bad fuel pressure regulator.
   Bad news is that the low 9-10 psi boost that I was getting last week is
now 7-8 psi. I want 13-15 psi. I changed the boost pressure regulator and lost
some boost. It doesn't regulate at all now or the waste gate is sticking.
   I have this weekend to fix and try it, because the next time out is at
Marshalltown , Iowa.
    Warren